You are here
Tips to Improve Sleep Health
Sleep is as essential to good health as oxygen, food, and water. Good quality sleep repairs cells, restores energy and refreshes the mind-improving our health and well being; naturally. Therefore, like planning a workout at a gym, or following a diet to maintain good health, the same consideration should be applied to your nightly sleep routine.
Medicinal remedies such as sleeping pills can be good when a specific event in your life is making it hard to sleep (i.e. shift work or travel), but they are only a short-term fix. Instead, consider a natural long-term solution by implementing the following practical tips and 'sticking-with-it' (as recommended by the Sleep Health Foundation, Australia).
Tips to improve your sleep health:
- Keep a regular daily schedule including consistent mealtimes and exercise,
- Establish a consistent bedtime routine. Go to bed at the same time every night,
- Encourage your child to fall asleep independently (preferably before 9 pm for kids aged 0-12 years,)
- Wind down at least an hour before bedtime i.e. read a book for leisure,
- Keep all electronics including televisions, computers, and mobile devices out of the bedroom and limit the use of electronics before bedtime,
- Avoid heavy meals and vigorous exercise close to bedtime,
- Avoid caffeine, including many fizzy drinks, coffee, and teas after 5 pm,
- Make all bedrooms sleep-conducive – cool, dark, clean and quiet,
- Avoid bright light at bedtime and during the night. Increase light exposure in the morning.
It may not be possible to do the same thing every day (and that's OK,) but it should be most days. Different things work for different people. Find what works for you and stick with it. If you try everything and your sleep health doesn't improve, you may suffer from a more serious condition such as sleep-disordered breathing or sleep apnoea.
If you do not notice an improvement in the quality of your sleep after a month, contact us at Sleep Clinic Services immediately on 1300 246 637 to chat one-on-one with a friendly professional Sleep Therapist - cost and obligation free.
INFORMATION PROVIDED IN THIS ARTICLE SHOULD NOT BE SEEN AS A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL ADVICE.
READ WHAT OTHER PATIENTS THINK:
Michael Hicks - "You literally saved my life!"
Elizabeth Hall - "I decided it was time to get serious about my health"
Len Kasulke - "Fantastic follow-up service with a smile"